What is a Patent?
- A patent protects an invention.
- For United States patent information, go to uspto.gov/patents.
It is in essence a legal monopoly to control the making, using and selling of an invention. A patent is the exclusive legal right to make, sell, and use an invention. Importantly, patents are only enforceable in the country where they are issued. A patent owner can also grant license for others to make, use, or sell the invention protected.
Veterans Intellectual Property offers a range of patent services to protect inventions. Often requested patent services are shown in the list below. We are also glad to provide bespoke services to help you achieve the results you’re after. Please contact us for information particular to your requirements.
- Non Disclosure Agreements – keeping inventions novel before a patent application is filed.
- Prior Art Searching – finding documentation of similar things from around the world.
- Patentability Evaluation – reviewing and evaluating the claims of the invention in view of the prior art.
- Patent Application Writing – the drafting, editing, and preparation of the specification (description, claims, and abstract) and drawings for patent applications.
- Application Filing – submitting provisional, utility, patent and design patent applications and registered design applications.
- Patent Prosecution – explaining to a person at a patent office why a patent application should be granted and a patent should be held valid.
Currently, Veterans Intellectual Property is able to offer professional representation before the following patent offices.
- United States Patent Office USPTO,
- United Kingdom Patent Office UKIPO,
- European Patent Office EPO, and
- International Bureau of the World Intellectual Property Office WIPO.
Patents are only enforceable in the country where they are issued. Through international patent applications we can pursue utility, design, and plant patents across the world.
Our veteran patent practitioners have relationships with patent agents and patent attorneys in most other countries. We can connect with other licensed patent professionals and seek patent protection for your invention all across the world.